Friday 6 September 2013

Vegetarian Avocado and Egg Potato Salad


I'm not the biggest fan of mayonnaise. I love Carlos' mothers' home made aioli and her Russian salad, but there's always a limit to how much I can eat. I find the same sensory-blow out with other very rich foods such as pate and seafood - I can be fine with a couple of mouthfuls, but then I hit a wall and can't handle any more.

This week I had to do something with some left-over potatoes from an empanada my partner made. I thought a potato salad for dinner with some celery and apple soup would be a nice light meal, but I didn't want to make mayonnaise so I improvised with some smashed avocado and mustard. It was amazing and I'll be making this from time to time in the future - in fact I've had the request already from Carlos.

Recipe


Makes 4 serves
Cooking time 30 mins
Keeps in fridge 2 days, but doesn't look as pretty as the first day

Ingredients


2 medium sized Kestrel potatoes (or buy the Low G.I. Charisma Potatoes at Coles)
4 spring onions, washed and cut into 1 cm pieces
3 small ribs of celery, cut into small pieces
1/4 red onion, cut into thin crescents
lettuce leaves
1 avocado, mashed
1 tablespoon of seeded mustard
2 teaspoons of american mustard
3 egg, hard boiled


Method



Cut the potatoes into medium sized cubes - you can leave the skin on. Place potato into a steamer and steam until soft, about 12 mins. Once potatoes are cooked remove and let cool. Place eggs in a saucepan of cold water and bring to the boil. Once at a boil set a timer for 6 mins. Keep the eggs at a steady boil, once 6 mins is up run the eggs under cold water until egg is cool to touch. Peel and set aside.

Chop up the spring onion, celery, and red onion and place in a large bowl with some lettuce leaves. cut boiled eggs into quarters and add to bowl.

In a small bowl mash the avocado with a fork until smooth. Add mustards and mix through.

When potatoes are cool add them to the vegetables and mix. Add the avocado mix and stir through gently until everything is evenly coated.


Notes:
When I make this again I think I will omit the lettuce leaves as they didn't last in the fridge - I think it would be a good idea to take the potato salad and leaves separate and add them just before eating. I think this salad would work really well with butter beans in place of potato. 



Spring onion, celery, red onion, and mixed lettuce leaves

Mashed avocado with mustard

The next day - a little worse for wear in the colour dept.



No comments:

Post a Comment

CC-BY-SA-3.0